Friday, August 4, 2017

Canning Nectarines

     I love to can and recently I was contacted about being part of the Canbassador program about reviewing some stone fruit.  I loved the idea and jumped on the opportunity.  I was gifted a lovely box of Nectarines.  These were not your typical nectarines either.  They were the largest, prettiest, juiciest most tasteful nectarine I have EVER had in my life.  I am NOT exaggerating ONE bit.  They are that good.

Canbassador, canning fruit, canning nectarines, preserving nectarines, preserving fruit, Northwest Cherry Growers,


        Please check out the page that talks about the art of preserving fruit.  Lots of good ideas and recipes and even printable labels.  All are at the Northwest Cherry Growers page.

Canbassador, canning fruit, canning nectarines, preserving nectarines, preserving fruit, Northwest Cherry Growers,

      Nectarines are a lovely fruit.  I think they are a gorgeous fruit and they taste delicious but their aroma is so inviting too.  The nectarine is in the same family as a peach.  To me, a nectarine tastes and looks like it is a cross between a peach and a plum.

     Nectarines have a decent amount of Vitamins A, C and niacin.  They are fiber rich and are a healthy source of B-complex vitamins and minerals.  And again, don't forget they taste delicious.  ;-)

     Today I canned the nectarines.  To begin with, I first had to make a syrup.  For the syrup, if you are making  4 quarts total, you will need to mix 5 cups of water and 3 1/4 cups of sugar together in a pot over high heat.  Bring it to a boil.  Once it boils, remove from heat.

***Note:  If you are making 7 quarts, use 7 3/4 cups of water and 5 1/4 c. of sugar.

    Set the syrup aside and now you prepare the nectarines.  To do this, I get a large pot of boiling water and then I place a few of the nectarines into the boiling water for 30 seconds.
canning nectarines, preserving nectarines, how to can nectarines for pies,



    Dip them out and place them into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.  After a few minutes, scoop them out and the peels will just fall off.

canning nectarines, preserving nectarines, how to can nectarines for pies,

   Place the peeled nectarines into a bowl.

canning nectarines, preserving nectarines, how to can nectarines for pies,


  At this point you can pack your nectarines whole; cut them in half or into quarters.  I cut mine into quarters.  Now just start packing your hot & sterilized jars with your nectarines.  Once they are full, pour in the hot syrup, leaving 1/2" head space.   Use the end of a wooden spoon and go along the inside of the jars to remove any air bubbles that might remain.  Seal and water bath process them for 30 minutes.


canning nectarines, preserving nectarines, how to can nectarines for pies,


This will prepare 4 quarts of prepared nectarines.

You may also like to read my post on Canning Apple Pie Filling and Making Turkey Stock

Follow me on Pinterest
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on g+
Follow us on linkedin

4 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I have never canned but I think that I would like to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom has been talking about doing some canning. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...